- Cut the guest list. This will slash your catering costs and save on invitations and even the number of centerpieces.
- Think off-peak season and save thousands!
- Hold your ceremony and reception in one spot — it will cut travel time for vendors you pay by the hour.
- Skip the Saturday wedding.
- Have bigger tables so you need fewer centerpieces and tablecloths.
- Shop the off-season for extra decor — get modern black vases on sale after Halloween and pretty pink ones after Valentine’s Day.
- Use more greenery than flowers.
- Swap out costly flowers — did you know peonies can be five times more expensive than roses?
- Stick to just one or two kinds of flowers.
- Buy flowers that are in season.
- Include non-florals, like lanterns.
Food & Drink
- Serve entree duets.
- Skip the main course — apps and drinks are fine too.
- Offer beer, wine, and a signature cocktail instead of a full bar.
- Serve comfort foods like barbecue chicken, mac and cheese, and corn. It’s fun and often cheaper.
- Skip the champagne toast.
- Order a small one or two-tiered cake and then supplement cake with a larger sheet cake (hidden back in the kitchen).
- Keep the add-ons simple.
- Use fresh flowers, not sugar ones.
- Reuse ceremony flowers for the cake table.
- Skip exotic fillings like guava and mango.
Stationery & Favors
- Get single-page invites to save on postage.
- Give out one favor per couple.
- Make your cake the favors.
- Have favors double as escort cards.
- Email your save-the-dates.
- Make your own menu cards , escort cards , and wedding favor packaging.
Photo, Video & Music
- Have a photographer you love but can’t afford the prices? Ask them if they have an associate shooter who will do your wedding for less.
- Opt for a smaller band.
- Hire a band or DJ who can do both the ceremony and the reception.